[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Sun May 10 16:54:57 PDT 2009

I'd just like to support Jeremy in this.  Often I might not take too much note of "conversations" until they develop with input from a number of AOIR people.  Often these subjects are something I have not considered before but am made aware of through these discussions. When people post requesting references or pathways to knowledge of research methods other AOIR members benefit from the knowledge that is fed back to all.  I can see the reasoning behind not being inundated with too many messages on a daily basis and this is something that I deal with just by deleting on a daily basis (which I acknowledge can be a pain at times).  However this change means that we will never know whether we are missing out on something really useful - and yes the sense of community is diminished.

Regards

Philippa

Please note Holly - I'm not shooting the messenger, but just wanted to add my bit to the conversation.

Philippa K Smith
PhD Candidate
Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
AUT University
Auckland
New Zealand

>>> jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> 11/05/2009 11:19 a.m. >>>
gotta say, that... I think this is very detrimental to the community.
This change fundamentally destroys the conversation construed as a
group, and forces it to be between individuals, unless they
consciously choose otherwise.   This is a change I've always been
against  and I am against it now.  Air-l should be about collegiality
and sharing, not about replying to individuals.   I think this setting
should be reverted asap.