[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Mon May 11 03:36:51 PDT 2009

2009/5/11 Dan Ryan <danryan at mills.edu>:
> A factual question would seem to be relevant:
>
> Will "reply-all" on most email clients go to the whole list?

I'm in agreement with those that the change is not something I'd have
chosen, had I had the say. That said, I wanted to reply off-list to
someone today, & did, as I always do for other lists I'm on, hit
"reply-all" & then realised it was going to him & I just had to remove
the list in the cc-field.

However, I tend to use "reply-all" as a default, anyway, & then remove
extraneous addresses. Someone pointed out that it can be annoying to
get two copies - though I believe that it's something [i.e. whether by
default you get one or two copies] that can be set in the
list-software -can't it? (I know it can for mailman lists).

All of that said, is it possible to set it up so that the "reply" puts
the list in the "to field" & reply-all puts the poster etc., in the
cc-field? I know that in the past, when I've wanted to reply privately
I've had to cut & paste the senders address - which is a pain, but
equally I agree with those that have said that it's possible that the
two way communication may start to decrease (often, of course,
depending on what folk's "normal" email behaviour is ... we all have
different clients, we all have different approaches as to whether or
not we select "reply" or "reply all" (for example, I use Gmail, I have
to open up the options to get "reply all", but, my usual behaviour is
to select that option ... but, though some have said it's not an extra
click ... in Gmail it is)

--
Emma Duke-Williams:
School of Computing/ Faculty eLearning Co-ordinator, University of