[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Mon May 11 10:33:02 PDT 2009

On May 11, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Tuszynski, Stephanie wrote:

> Is it really that onerous a task to manually include the entire list
> into your reply fields when you want to?

Obviously the answer is no. And it's not really necessary to cut and
paste or rearrange the addresses, really, unless you have an
extraordinary need to keep someone from getting more than one copy of
a post.

But I don't think that's what the real issue is. Rather, I think that
people have invested the "reply" and "reply-all" buttons in their
email programs with particular meanings. (This particular example
reminds me of what Reeves and Nass' report finding, in The Media
Equation, regarding people's orientation to TVs. Among other things,
they found that people who normally watched news on one TV and
entertainment on another tended to treat news reports as more credible
when received via the TV on which they most regularly watched the
news.) Due in large part to previous experience, they have come to
regard hitting reply-all to replying to a number of individuals and
regard hitting reply to replying to a singular entity, whether one
individual or a group.

Why should their present actions be driven so powerfully from past
habit? Perhaps, as Langer's research suggests, this has a bit to do
with our supposed cognitive miserliness and a concomitant desire to
operate as mindlessly as possible. Perhaps, too, it has something to
do with the power of ritual and the security it provides, as suggested
by Durkheim and many who have followed.

That's my .02$ on the subject, anyway.

--Christian Nelson