[Air-L] Textbook Suggestion Needed

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:23:29 PDT 2009

All,

I am teaching an upper division Internet Communication (theory) course
online in the fall and am interested in suggestions for a basic
textbook/reader.

In the past I have used Thurlow, C., Lengel, L., & Tomic, A. (2004).
Computer-mediated communication: Social interaction and the internet.
London: Sage. My students did not like it very much (typical), but the main
issue now is that it is dated. This is same issue with Castells' Internet
Galaxy.

I have considered going with journal articles, but I generally like to have
a foundation text as well that lays out the basics; history, culture, CMC,
basic theory, etc.

I teach at a California State University campus with a slighty older student
population who may not have the best skills but do have plenty of life
experience. Straight forward language and pragmatics are a plus.

Ideally any text would be broad and include both social scientific and
cultural perspectives.

Thanks,

-TED
--