[Air-L] using wikipedia articles in academic paper

Jesper Aagaard Petersen jespaa at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 04:01:33 PDT 2009

Hello all.

While I agree that the use of Wikipedia as a support for an argument or as a
sole source of legitimation is bad scholarship, I think it is very
appropriate as an illustration of an ongoing public debate or as a stepping
stone for a theoretical discussion as a supplement to scholarly material.

It has to do with context and the totality of the article; a discussion of
Wiki etc. can open up a limited scholarly debate and supply evidence of
alternative understandings. In itself, it is not enough. I see it in a lot
of undergraduate term papers: The good ones have researched a bit and
includes assigned readings, additional literature and internet resources,
the bad ones have googled and use the top three as sources.

To begin an article with a dictionary definition is, unless it is justified,
on the level of beginning with "already the ancient Egyptians...". But
Wikipedia or a dictionary is not in itself necessarily common knowledge.
When that is said, you'll usually get a lot more from Wikipedia if you know
the subject in the first place.

All the best,

Jesper Petersen.

Jesper Aagaard Petersen
Research Fellow, Dept. of Archeology and Religious Studies
NTNU, Dragvoll
NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway
Tlf. 0047-735-98312
email: jesper.a.petersen at hf.ntnu.no