[Air-L] Kindle For iPhone App Released

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Thu May 7 04:58:07 PDT 2009

Thanks, Rasha - very nice to know that not everything I think / believe /
feel, etc, is merely an artifact of advancing age (though that's always an
important hypothesis to explore ...)
Thanks as well for filling out the aesthetic side of the discussion.  I
couldn't agree more.  I would add a bit by saying that the heft and feel of
some books, in particular, seem to me to be so fitting to my hand as a
reader, it's just a delightful experience.
The same is true, it seems to me, of any well-designed tool or artifact.
Ultimately, they fit our preferences, sensibilities, and habits as embodied
beings, not simply "Cartesian minds on a stick," as one education colleague
characterized some earlier, cognitivist assumptions about our students and
ourselves.
In this direction, I would add: the Kindle is also enjoyable "to have and to
hold" - in my experience, that is, it _feels_ good in the hand/s, is
(usually) easily readable, etc. From what more experienced users tell me,
the redesign for the 2.0 version introduced a number of very helpful
improvements.  It would, indeed, be very nice to have one - but at this
stage, they are still a bit pricey for my budget. (The best of all possible
worlds is a both/and, not an either/or.)
Again, thanks!  And enjoy!
- c.