[Air-L] Digital Culture 2009

Ben Light B.Light at salford.ac.uk
Thu May 7 07:02:23 PDT 2009

Apologies for cross postings

2nd Digital Cultures Workshop: Social Media Publics?  #digcult09

4-5 June, 2008
University of Salford, U.K.

- Organizers
Ben Light and Marie Griffiths, University of Salford
Sian Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores University
Steve Sawyer, Syracuse University

- Keynote Speakers
Mobile Technology at Work: Stories of Interaction Asymmetry
Carsten Sørensen, Information Systems and Innovation Group, Department of
Management, London School of Economics

Prostitution, Prosecution and Positioning: The Curious Case of Craigslist
Theresa Senft - School of Social Sciences, Media and Cultural Studies,
University of East London

- About the Workshop
It is clear that the boundaries between the Œpublic¹ and the Œprivate¹ are
becoming increasingly blurred within and amongst sites of home and work.
Indeed, in the wake of reality television shows, national identity card
schemes, increased social media usage and the like, publicity appears to be
the order of the day.  In this workshop we discuss the issues raised for
those living in environments where there is seemingly little room for
privacy (privacy, of course, not necessarily always being a good thing).  As
was the case last year, we intend for the workshop to be multi-disciplinary
in nature, broad in the approaches participants take and issues they cover.
If your work is about any aspect of digital culture, this is the workshop
for you! The following are thus only indicative of potential topics that
could be raised:

How do people domesticate social media in their attempts to maintain a
balance in publicity and privacy? Do they? Why do they, or don¹t they?
What matters are raised by increased access to data about individuals and
organizations?
What does the blurring of boundaries between public and private mean for our
knowledge and experiences of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity and
disability?
How are ICT mediated spaces created and maintained at home, work and those
spaces in between?  For example, how are Œgeek gamers¹ finding spaces to
play now the only console in the house can be in the living room?
How are ICT policies shaping public and private spaces throughout societies
around the world?
What privacy issues are presented by media convergence?
What role are mobile and ubiquitous computing technologies playing in public
and private spaces?
How is the increased commodification of social media affecting our privacy?

Following from the first workshop we continue to see this workshop having
three purposes. First, we seek to give voice and structure to existing new
media, ICT and technology related research which may not readily sit within
conventionally accepted areas. Second, we wish to draw in research on new
forms of digital technology, ICT, computing, organizing and social
interactions. Third, we want to continue discussions regarding potential
futures for ICT related research which combine research as related to the
evolving forms and functions of work organizations and the changing
boundaries and relations between these organizations and their social
milieus.

We hope to have a special issue of a journal associated with the workshop as
was the case last year (a special issue of the Journal of Information,
Communication, Ethics and Society was published early in 2009 ­ Vol 7, Issue
1).

Workshop Arrangements
Workshop places are limited and would be grateful if people would register
for the workshop by 22 May if possible.  If you wish to register after that
date, please could you contact Nathalie Audren-Howarth at:
n.audren at salford.ac.uk <mailto:n.audren at salford.ac.uk> in order that we can
make sure we have space for you.

The fee for presentation/attendance at the workshop is £75 GBP. This will
cover refreshments and meals throughout the workshop and a workshop dinner
to be held on the evening of the 4th of June.

There is no fee for PhD students, however they still need to register for
the workshop. PhD student registration includes refreshments during the
workshop but excludes attendance at the workshop dinner (This is subject to
a 25 GBP fee, payable upon registration). If you are a PhD student who
wishes to register without attending the workshop dinner, please email
Nathalie Audren-Howarth. Free PhD student places are limited.

To see the programme and register ­ please go to
http://www.iris.salford.ac.uk

Ben Light
Professor of Digital Media
Director IS, Organisations and Society Research Centre
Acting Associate Head of School - Research
School of Media, Music and Performance
The University of Salford
Adelphi House
Salford