[Air-L] Change of default reply setting on air-l

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Mon May 11 15:48:46 PDT 2009

I vehemently disagree with the notion that all learning from evidence
should be considered research that cannot be carried out without
permission.  I constantly learn from how people post things on air-l and
what kind of responses they get (e.g., somebody posed something in a
particular way, and got a lot of thoughtful responses, and somebody else
posed something in a different way, and didn't get much response).
Sometimes I even make decisions based on this (e.g., adoption of a
particular rhetorical style that I have observed to be successful in
generating thoughtful discussion.)  Shall I be banned from doing so
because that is considered a form of research?  Shall I be required to
submit a formal request to air-l executive committee and to my IRB to
learn in this way?
Mark

Mark Warschauer
Professor of Education and Informatics
University of California, Irvine
Berkeley Place 2001 (for mail); Berkeley Place 3000C (for visitors)
Irvine, CA 92697-5500
tel: (949) 824-2526,  fax: (949) 824-2965
markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw