[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at illinois.edu
Wed May 13 07:05:23 PDT 2009

As one who tries to make a clear distinction between "social networks" and
"social networking", let me see if this distinction makes sense to others.

Social networks are created and maintained by ties between people. They are
studied using social network analysis, a formal set of techniques now being
more widely used and identified under the label of "network science". There is
no online or offline separation for social networks -- they exist, emerge and
are maintained based on ties between people whether these happen via online
and/or offline means.

Social networking I take to mean a deliberate, active pursuit of ties with other
people -- from the business sense of social networking as something you do to
make and keep business contacts, to the friend making in MySpace, Facebook,
etc.

Social networking sites (SNSs) are online sites which provide the technical
infrastructure for social networking. While the term is used, and I'd say
reserved for online sites, the concept of a social networking site could also
apply to offline settings as well -- after all, what is a pub for if not a social
networking site.

And, yes, social networks emerge and are maintained through social
networking via social network sites. The distinction is that social networks
emerge in lots of ways, not *just* through the deliberate strategy of social
networking, nor just through social networking sites.

Comments please as I really do try to make these distinctions clear and bug
people not to call my work 'social networking'!

/Caroline