[Air-L] on the recent change ...

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu May 14 15:22:24 PDT 2009

Gotta say that I've yet to see anything that lends merit to the
necessity of this change.

I can see the argument that some people are unhappy with the amount of
email they receive from the list, but should that impinge upon the
people who don't have a problem with it... I am pretty sure that email
management is not a community problem, but a personal problem.

I think we need to know why this change was a good or legitimate
choice for the organization.

It was a premature change, made without consultation to the
membership, with apparently no strong justification.

A working group is fine, but why should the working group operate
under different settings from air-l currently, but i bet... it will
have the correct/normal reply settings on its lists if it chooses to
use one.

It just seems to me that... there isn't anything keeping this setting
from being normal.  There seems to be a good amount of support for it
being normal.

Perhaps there is a huge mass of people communicating with the exec
that this is a good thing, but I've not seen that, and it seems like
that should be made in the public forum to me.   That is sort of what
AoIR centers on, this public forum, we used to have other forums, but
this is sort of the last big one.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Political Science
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow
Center for Information Policy Research

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://wiki.tmttlt.com
http://www.tmttlt.com

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain