[Air-L] Textbook Suggestion Needed

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Mon May 18 08:23:19 PDT 2009

Thanks,

I actually used this book for a class I taught as a grad student at the U of
WA - I thought it was great and appreciated the non-linear approach because
new media is basically non-linear - my undergrad students hated it. I have
found most students desire having a textbook that is laid out in easy to
follow format with definitive statements (x means y). Perhaps it is all the
testing they get in high school.

Had a similar issue with Carey [Carey, J. W. (2009). Communication as
Culture (revised edition)] in a comm and culture class I just taught.

Is it depressing?  - yes - is it worth trying to shove it down their
throats? Usually not.

-TED