[Air-L] Textbook Suggestion Needed

Nicole Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Mon May 18 09:04:29 PDT 2009

I've faced the same dilemma. For my undergrad new media class, I've used the Thurlow et al CMC book, but only the first few chapters and only in the first third of the semester. Then we read online articles for the remainder. (I agree it's getting very dated, and in fact recently I wrote the authors asking about a 2nd edition - not in the works at this point.)

My experience is that (at least with the students I've worked with), undergrads like a textbook because it gives the field legitimacy in their eyes.  Ted's description below really rings true with mine - a textbook seems to give many undergrads a sense of finality and control. I've found that one of the challenges of teaching content that is so interesting and publicly visible (e.g. social network sites) is trying to keep classroom discussions at a higher level than pub or coffee-shop conversations, and a textbook and/or academic readings are necessary to do this. Depending on how they are written, some academic articles just don't work for some undergrads. It's definitely a challenge!

For fall, I'm planning on using the Thurlow et al textbook and a collection of online articles, but this will probably be the last year and I'm also interested in hearing about an accessible, updated replacement.
Thanks, N

Links:
------
[1] http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-Introduction-Martin-Lister/dp/0415223776