[Air-L] AoIR in Second Life - Scholar vs. researcher

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Sat May 30 19:27:13 PDT 2009

Nick,

Thanks for your comment.  I've also received some very useful comments
off-list

I should apologise to Marj Kibby and Denise N. Rall for jumping on this
thread, which was initially unrelated to e-research / e-science /
cyberinfrastructure etc.  However, the distinction between research and
scholarship suggested by Marj was helpful for me in my attempt to figure
out exactly what e-research is, or has become.

My working definition of e-research is that it involves advanced ICTs that:
(a) enable collaborative research (people in different locations working
together using using the same data/methods);
(b) enable (via web services and/or grid technologies) access to
distributed research resources (models, data, compute power);
(c) have been designed specifically for answering a particular research
question i.e. the research could not be done otherwise.

I regard myself as a practitioner of e-research.  My interest is in
doing e-research - I'm not someone who studies the practice of research.

So my definition of e-research is at odds with that used elsewhere, for
example in Nick's chapter.  While my definition might be constraining,
the problem with a more inclusive definition of e-research is that the
term then loses its meaning.  It loses its ability to inspire certain
people to work in certain areas (I wouldn't have got involved in
e-research back in 2004 if I thought it was primarily about
constructing/maintaining/providing access to digital collections).  It
loses it's ability to inspire funding agencies to provide money.  My
understanding is that the early big money for e-Science came about
because scientists were able to convince the funding agencies that the
investment would lead to new discoveries, not simply improved scholarly
services.  In short, language and terminology are important in assisting
the allocation of resources (here, I'm talking about money and people)
to areas where they will be most productive, and I think the term
e-research is losing or perhaps has already lost it's connection to
cutting-edge research.  However, it is possibly now doing a fine job in
assisting the allocation of resources into scholarly services.

Nick says below: "Instead, I suggest 'scholarship' as the overall label
for knowledge production and this includes 'research' as one of the
enterprises for such production."  That is reasonable, but then why is
e-research being used as the encompassing term?  Shouldn't digital
scholarship be the encompassing term, with e-research referring to a
specific class of activities i.e. where specific research questions are
being posed and advanced ICTs used to find answers to those questions?

I do not seek to legislate definitions for others and wouldn't succeed
even if I wanted to.  I'm just trying to figure out whether it is
appropriate and wise from a career perspective for me to continue to
label my work as e-Research.  I have seen the term "computational social
science" (e.g. Lazer et al 2009 in Science -
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/323/5915/721) used to
describe the sort of work I do.

I also use the term "online research" to describe what I do, although
some people see "online research" and "e-research" as synonyms,
something that again, I don't agree with.  For me, online research
refers to using the Internet to collect primary research data, either
obtrusively (e.g. online surveys, online focus groups) or unobtrusively
(e.g. digital traces of behaviour in online environments).  Online
research doesn't have to be conducted using e-research tools (where
e-research is defined as I have above).

I want to finish with something Roberta Balstad said in her keynote
address titled "E-Social Science - For What?" at the Third International
Conference on E-Social Science, October 8, 2007, Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I
can't recall the exact words (and I haven't been able to locate a
transcript) but it was something to the effect of: if the only
contribution of cyberinfrastructure to social science is enabling
researchers to do research "better, bigger, and faster" [my
interpretation: improved scholarly services] then it will fail to have a
significant impact on the field.

Rob