[Air-L] using wikipedia articles in academic paper

Stephan Humer stephan.humer at yahoo.de
Thu May 7 03:23:40 PDT 2009

Hello everybody.

I think that Wikipedia is great for explaining technical details or
information like "GSM" or "Atari", but not as a discussible source like
primary literature. (With one exception: if Wikipedia is the object
of investigation itself ;-) For people who know how to distinguish details
Wikipedia can be a great help: If you know that the explanation of e.g. GSM
is correct, so you can trust the Wikipedia article, why should you cite a
user manual? My opinion is that the citation of a user manual looks quite
strange in this context when you can use Wikipedia as well. Where should be
the benefit of using the manual then?

And, of course, this whole topic still seems to be a question of socialization
and misunderstanding. I suspect that old school researchers tend to use old
school methods and sources too often.

Best

--
Dr. Stephan G. Humer
Research Director, Digital Class, University of the Arts Berlin

For detailed contact information see www.humer.tel