[Air-L] using wikipedia articles in academic paper

Nick Lalone nick.lalone at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:15:59 PDT 2009

>> I suppose this is tangent to the current conversation but I felt it was
>> worth saying.
>>

> ... or in society at large, to wit:
>
> Student's Wikipedia hoax quote used worldwide in newspaper obituaries
>

> Wikipedia: the encyclopedia can be edited anonymously by users
>
> Genevieve Carbery
> Wednesday, May 6, 2009
> http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0506/1224245992919.html
>
> A WIKIPEDIA hoax by a 22-year-old Dublin student resulted in a fake quote
> being published in newspaper obituaries around the world.
>
> The quote was attributed to French composer Maurice Jarre who died at the
> end of March.

> [The student,] Mr Fitzgerald[,] said he placed the quote on the website as
> an experiment when doing research on globalisation.
>
> http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0506/1224245992919.html

To this, I can only ironically respond with:
Merck Makes Phony Peer-Review Journal
The Scientist<http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/blog.jsp?type=blog&o_url=blog/display/55671&id=55671>has
reported that, yes, it's true, Merck cooked up a phony, but real
sounding, peer reviewed journal and published favorably looking data for its
products in them. Merck paid Elsevier to publish such a tome, which neither
appears in MEDLINE or has a website, according to The
Scientist<http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/blog.jsp?type=blog&o_url=blog/display/55671&id=55671>.

http://blog.bioethics.net/2009/05/merck-makes-phony-peerreview-journal/

Nick LaLone
512.633.0207