[Air-L] Priorities and Probabilities re: the big switch debate

Tery G teryg93 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 10:28:30 PDT 2009

I mostly lurk on this list, but what Bob says is true for me. I found
AIR by tripping over this email list. I find a lot of things that way,
though, and don't return to most of them. I joined the list and will
join the organization because of the lively discussion on this list.
Since I can't afford to join endless organizations, the one that will
go in order for me to join this one is another organization dealing
with a very similar area which has disappointed me by having almost no
communication other than annual meetings. It doesn't make sense for
organizations that focus even partly on new media communication to
limit communication using new media.

I run probably a dozen email lists. The largest have maybe 500 members
each; the oldest is about 10 years old. All are set to reply to the
group, and I don't remember the last time we had someone post
something to the lists accidentally. I do have a policy of putting new
members on moderate for 90 days. If they're going to make that
mistake, or return the entire digest to the list, they generally do it
during that time. I can catch it, ask if they meant to send it to the
list, and remove it if they didn't. I don't see too many people do it
twice. And these are not internet-savvy folks.

Most of those lists happen to be on yahoo, where I can delete
individual archived messages if I need to. Though, again,  can't
remember the last time I did.

YMMV,
TeryG