[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Fred Stutzman fred at fredstutzman.com
Wed May 13 07:32:20 PDT 2009

I use both "Online Social Network" and "Social Networking Site" in my
writing.  In my taxonomy, OSN exists a level up from SNS, and I often
use SNS as a direct object reference to a "site" - i.e. Facebook,
Myspace.

However, as the term SNS has been defined, a number of sites that
afford "social networking" do not qualify as SNS.  I tend to view SNS
liberally and view that the definition of a SNS is in evolution.

The concept of an OSN was introduced to me by Howard Rheingold (using
Wellman's work) in the Virtual Community.  I've always felt a strong
affinity to the term as it is flexible and crosses sites/domains/
technologies.  That is, an online social network can exist in Facebook
or Bebo as well as it can exist in a bulletin board, community forum,
and so on.

The distinction I use when choosing the term is the scope of
reference.  If I am writing about a "site," I'll often use SNS.  If my
scope is larger, crosses modes, or describes a process-oriented
approach, I'll use OSN.