[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

Nicole Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Wed May 13 08:28:51 PDT 2009

I agree with much of what Caroline and Fred have posted regarding the
definitions of and distinctions among SNSs and OSNs. I don't use the
term OSN because the sites I study are not "online social
networks" (as opposed to "offline" social networks?). I don't think it
makes sense to ask an undergraduate Facebook user to distinguish
between their online and offline social networks as we tend to see
hybrid communication patterns in this population. With earlier techs,
such as newsgroups, this notion made more sense.

On the network vs networking issue: danah and I discuss this in our
2007 piece, arguing for "network" as a term that more appropriately
describes the way in which users are articulating existing
relationships as opposed to using the sites for networking purposes
(that is, making new contacts). My colleagues and I will be presenting
a paper at the upcoming ICA conference which offers some empirical
support for this observation in regards to FB use. I see "network"
used more than "networking" in the papers I review, but most of them
use the boyd & Ellison definition (which is probably why I get them)
so take that observation with a grain of salt. In the past year or
two, I typically have not seen "OSN" used to describe sites like
Facebook.

Re: site vs service - good question. danah may want to chime in, but
my sense is most users think of these as sites (places) as opposed to
services, thus "site" seems to resonate with me.

Thanks, Nicole