[Air-L] Call for articles: deadline extended. User-led, P2P Science

Alessandro Delfanti delfanti at sissa.it
Thu May 14 07:48:39 PDT 2009

Call for articles: deadline extended
User-led, P2P Science - A special issue of JCOM, Journal of Science
Communication

Deadline: June 1st, 2009
http://jcom.sissa.it/call

Science is increasingly being produced, discussed and deliberated with
cooperative tools by web users and without the istitutionalized
presence of scientists. "Popular science" or "Citizen science" are two
of the traditional ways of defining science grassroots produced
outside the walls of laboratories. But the internet has changed the
way of collecting and organising the knowledge produced by people -
peers - who do not belong to the established scientific community. In
this issue we want to discuss:

- How web tools are changing and widening this way of participating in
the production of scientific knowledge. Do this increase in
participation consist in a real shift towards democratizing science or
on the contrary is merely a rhetoric which do not affect the
asymmetrical relationships between citizens and institutions?

- The ways in which both academic and private scientific institutions
are appropriating this knowledge and its value. Do we need a new model
to understand these ways of production and appropriation? Are they
part of a deeper change in productive paradigms?

We would like to collect both theoretical contributions and research
articles which address for example case studies in social media and
science, peer production, the role of private firms in exploiting web
arenas to collect scientific/medical data from their costumers, online
social movements challenging communication incumbents, web tools for
development.

Interested authors should submit an extended abstract of no more than
500 words (in English) to the issue editor by June 1st, 2009. We will
select three to five papers for inclusion in this special issue.
Abstracts should be sent to the JCOM's editorial office
(jcom-eo at jcom.sissa.it) by email.

Please help us and spread this call in your mailing lists, blogs, websites.
The JCOM staff

--
Alessandro Delfanti
ICS, Innovations in the Communication of Science
delfanti at sissa.it
http://people.sissa.it/~delfanti/