[Air-L] Social network site nomenclature

'Gail Taylor gdtaylor at illinois.edu
Sun May 17 10:25:10 PDT 2009

Danah's definitions for "online social network" and "online social networking" both suggest that online technologies are foundation to enabling and supporting network structures and networking practices and processes. What are online technologies? Based on the context of this particular conversation (who the participants are, what we know about the topics, personal digital fluency levels, etc.), it is possible to infer that the Internet is the platform that supports and also enables social interactions and also that Internet-based products and services, such as Facebook, are also part of the mix. Can we assume that this same meaning of online technologies will transfer to other settings where there are more diverse points of view as well as levels of digital literacy among members of conversations? My thinking is that the definitions should be more explicit to address transference issues.

I'm also wondering whether the designations "social network sites" and "social networking sites" are redundant due to technological developments allowing users of social network services, such as Facebook, to build capabilities into the software program that allows users to map (visualize) their personal networks and those of other subscribers. Is it time to consider collapsing these two designations into one to account for this technological shift? I personally think the time is 'ripe' based on the pace of technological developments and also research that is being conducted to promote a stages of development perspective of the Internet (e.g. Web 1.0 --> Web 2.0 --> Web 3.0 --> . . . . ).

Gail Taylor, Ph.D. (ABD)
Human Resource Education University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Graduate School of Library and Information Science Graduate Instructor and Teaching Assistant (LIS 201 IT and Organizations, LIS 202 Social Aspects of IT)