[Air-L] call for panelists: Discourses of Legitimation in Knowledge, Cultural and Information Policy

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Nov 2 09:39:59 PST 2009

Distribute as appropriate:

I'm putting a panel for Interpretive Policy Analysis: Politic,
Legitimacy and Power in Grenoble  France July 23-25 2010
http://www.ipa2010-grenoble.fr/
Keynotes this year are:  Bruno Latour, Frank Fischer, Bruno Jobert,
Patrick Le Galés and Vivien Schmidt.

I need 200-300 word proposals from the panelists.
I need the proposals by 18 November 2009.

The topic of the panel will will be:  Discourses of Legitimation in
Knowledge and Cultural Policy.  I am looking for at least 3 more
participants for the panel.

The idea is that in using interpretive methods, we find certain
discourses that aim to legitimize certain policies related to
knowledge and cultural policy in our society.  The papers should
describe these discourses so that in the panel we can present them and
discuss the similarities and differences.   For my perspective, I tend
to be most closely allied with Habermasian and Lyotardian issues of
legitimation and the issues of justification described by Boltanski
and Thévenot in On Justification.  However, any model of  a discourse
that legitimizes, justifies a policy will be considered for the panel.

I'd like to see papers for the panel of around 20-30 pages eventually,
but the panel will minimally need to have presentations of 15-20
minutes.    If I get the papers, I'll try to get them placed in a
journal special issue or similar project.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Political Science
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow
Center for Information Policy Research

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://wiki.tmttlt.com
http://www.tmttlt.com

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain