[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

Anders Fagerjord anders.fagerjord at media.uio.no
Wed Nov 4 09:25:10 PST 2009

Liesbeth,

Passive use may be widespread, at least on some sites.

In a study of online video sites, Cha et.al. found that users rated
the video on only 0.22% of YouTube views, and commented on 0.16%. They
cite a Reuters article that reports that Hitwise have found similar
results: only .16% of visits to YouTube are video uploads, and .2% of
Flickr visits are uploads. I have not been able to get my hands on any
publication from Hitwise.

Is this special for YouTube, Flickr, and other sites that the OfCom
study named "User Generated Content sites" (and were not regarded
social network sites), or can we expect similar numbers for Twitter,
Facebook, etc.?

Cha, Meeyoung, et al. "I Tube, You Tube, Everybody Tubes: Analyzing
the World's Largest User Generated Content Video System." Proceedings
from the Internet Measuremet Conference, San Diego, 2007. New York:
ACM, 2007. <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1298306.1298309>

Auchard, Eric. "Participation on Web 2.0 Sites Remain Weak".
_Reuters.com_, 17. April, 2007. <http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN1743638820070418

--anders