[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

live human.factor.one at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 09:30:02 PST 2009

Many in the User Centered Design world would say that it is not the
people that are unwilling, it's the way the technology is built and
it's current barriers to adoption.
That it's not the users who are intentionally being 'passive' because
they don't want to interact per se, but because the cost/benefit of
joining to comment isn't balanced enough for them.

There are many corporate studies (Jared Spool et al), that show that
users at some point just don't have the energy for yet again one more
username and password to add to their ever growing list. This cost is
exponential as 'new apps' continue to show promise, but the
marketplace is still to young to have real app standards.

This is exactly why the OpenID movement was born. So that users would
have one username and password for a login wherever they go. Thus
reducing their cost. And perhaps the benefits would then tilt into
active participant favour. But so far, I have yet to see that movement
gain traction.

And I just happen to be one of those 'passive' users. I, for one,
don't even bother to respond to news articles on my local news's
website because it requires registration. I will just be active on
other ways in response - on my blog, in twitter, with a neighbour as
we rake leaves, with a friend on the phone, etc.

Sharon Greenfield
Digital Ethnographer