[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

Gil De Zuniga, Homero hgz at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 5 20:58:30 PST 2009

Hola all ~
Thank you Hernando for the free plug!
Yes, in that book chapter I offer a first hint to a theoretical distinction between passive vs active blog use. In the chapter, data empirically revealed different effects on political participation (voting). That is, reading yield non-significant results in opposition to a more active use of the blogosphere, which predicted voting.
In a more recent study with national US data that we'll send for publication soon, we build on that framework. Richer measures of passive vs active blogging are developed. Likewise, the effects are now tested for expanded online and offline political participation indexes, as well as civic engagement. Additionally, the new study provides more insights as for how this process takes place through interpersonal discussion. I'll be happy to send a pre-published copy of the paper to those who need it and hopefully an updated version once when the piece see the light.
Best,
HGZ

Homero Gil de Zúñiga
Assistant Professor
Director, Center for Journalism & Communication Research
School of Journalism
College of Communication
University of Texas - Austin
www.utexas.edu