[Air-L] Textbook on the social web?

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 12 09:05:07 PST 2009

Great.  To help start this, I reformatted and cleaned up the draft file I
sent before:
University of California, Santa Barbara

Communication 116, Internet and Society

Ronald E. Rice

Aspray, W. & Ceruzzi, P. E. (Eds.). (2008). The Internet and american
business. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.

Banks, M A. (2007). Blogging heroes: Interviews with 30 of the world's top
bloggers. NY: Wiley.
http://www.amazon.com/Blogging-Heroes-Interviews-Worlds-Bloggers/dp/0470197390/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208457719&sr=1-59

Battelle, J. (2006). The search: How Google and its rivals rewrote the rules
of business and transformed our culture.  Portfolio press.
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Rewrote-Business-Transformed-Culture/dp/B000QRIHXE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213895997&sr=1-6

Beal, A. & Strauss, J. (2008). Radically transparent: Monitoring and
managing reputations online.  Indianapolis: Wiley Publishing (under the
Sybex imprint).

Benkler, Y. (2007). The wealth of networks: How social production transforms
markets and freedom. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.

Bruns, A. (2008) Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life, and beyond: From production
to produsage (digital formations). Peter Lang.
http://www.amazon.com/Blogs-Wikipedia-Second-Life-Beyond/dp/0820488666/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208457286&sr=1-28

Carr, N. (2008). The big switch: Rewiring the world, from Edison to Google.
Norton.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Switch-Rewiring-Edison-Google/dp/0393062287/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208457435&sr=1-39

Castells, M., Fernandez-Ardevol, M., Qiu, J. L., & Sey, A. (2006). Mobile
communication and society: A global perspective. Cambridge, MA: The MIT
Press

Castells, M. (2009). Communication power. Oxford, England: Oxford University
Press.

Gillmor, D. (2006). We the media: Grassroots journalism by the peple, for
the people.  O'Reilly Media (impact on news, journalism, info dissemination)

Goldsmith, J. & Wu, T. (2006). Who controls the Intenet: Illusions of a
borderless world. Oxford University Press.

Gomez, J. (2007). Print is dead: Books in our digital age. Palgrave
Macmillan.
http://www.amazon.com/Print-Dead-Books-our-Digital/dp/0230527167/ref=sr_1_83?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208457850&sr=1-83

Graff, G. M. (2007). The first campaign: Globalization, the Web, and the
race for the White House. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Campaign-Globalization-White-House/dp/0374155038/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208457850&sr=1-78

Hauben, M. & Hauben, R. (1997). Netizens: On the history and impact of
Usenet and the Internet. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press.

Ito, M., Baumer, S., Bittanti, M., boyd, d., Cody, R., Herr, B., Horst, H.
A., Lange, P. G., Mahendran, D., Martinez, K., Pascoe, C. J., Perkel, D.,
Robinson, L., Sims, C., & Tripp, L. (2008). Hanging out, messing around,
geeking out: Living and learning with new media. E-Book.

Katz, J. E. & Rice, R. E. (2002).  Social consequences of Internet use:
Access, involvement and interaction.  Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.

Kelty, C. M. (2008). Two bits: The cultural significance of free software.
Durham, NC: Duke University Press.

Kluver, R., Jankowski, M. W., Foot, K. M., & Schneider S. M. (Eds.). (2007).
The Internet and national elections: A comparative study of web campaigning.
London: Routledge.

Kressel, H., & Lento, T. V. (2007). Competing for the future: How digital
innovations are changing the world. Cambridge University Press.
http://www.amazon.com/Competing-Future-Digital-Innovations-Changing/dp/0521862906/ref=sr_1_246?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208458849&sr=1-246

Lessig, L. (2008). Remix: Making art and commerce thrive in the hybrid
economy. Penguin Press HC.

Lister, M., Dovey, J., Giddings, S., Grant, I., & Kelly, K.. (2009). New
media: A critical introduction. New York, NY: Routledge.

Lundby, K. (Ed.). (2009). Mediatization: Concepts, changes, consequences.
New York, NY: Peter Lang.

Montgomery, K. C. (2007). Generation digital: Politics, commerce, and
childhood in the age of the Internet. The MIT Press.
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Digital-Politics-Commerce-Childhood/dp/0262134780/ref=sr_1_161?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208458422&sr=1-161

Morville, P. (2005). Ambiant findability. O'Reilly Media. (searching and
finding)

Murero, M. & Rice, R. E. (Eds.). (2006).  The Internet and health care:
Theory, research and practice.  Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Raymond, E. S. (2000). The cathedral & the bazaar: Musings on Linux and open
source by an accidental revolutionary. (First presented at the Linux
Kongress in 1997). O'Reilly Media.

Rheingold, H. (2003). Smart mobs. Basic Books. (collective behavior)

Rheingold, H. (1993/2000). The virtual community. Cambridge, MA: The MIT
Press.

Rice, R. E. & Katz, J. E. (Eds.), (2001).  The Internet and health
communication: Expectations and experiences.  Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

Ryan, J. (2008). The virtual campfire: An ethnography of online social
networking. E-Book.

Shirky, C. (2009).  Here comes everybody: The power of organizing without
organizations.  NY: Penguin Press.

Social Media: 20 free e-books about social media:
http://www.chrisbrogan.com/20-free-ebooks-about-social-media/

Social Media: Research, see: http://www.danah.org:80/SNSResearch.html, a
bibliography from communication, information science, anthropology,
sociology, economics, political science, cultural studies, computer science,
etc.
Solove, D. (2007). The future of reputation: Gossip, rumor, and privacy on
the Internet. Yale University Press.
http://www.amazon.com/Future-Reputation-Gossip-Privacy-Internet/dp/0300124988/ref=sr_1_92?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208458072&sr=1-92

Sunstein, C. R. (2006). Infotopia: How many minds produce knowledge.NY:
Oxford University Press.  (wisdom of crowds)

Teten, D. & Allen, S. (2006). The virtual handshake: Opening doors and
closing deals online. NY: AMACON.

Thomas, D. (2002). Hacker Culture. Minnesota: University of Minnesota Press.

Vedro, S. (2007). Digital Dharma: A user's guide to expanding consciousness
in the Infosphere. Quest Books.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Dharma-Expanding-Consciousness-Infosphere/dp/083560859X/ref=sr_1_91?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208458072&sr=1-91

von Hippel, Eric. (1988). The sources of innovation. Oxford, England: Oxford
University Press. Lessig.

von Hippel, Eric. (2005). Democratizing innovation. Cambridge, MA: The MIT
Press.

Webnographers.org: The free and open books on this http://Webnographers.org
list are excellent resourcs:
http://www.webnographers.org/index.php?title=Books

Weinberg, D. (2008). Everything is miscellaneous: The power of the new
digital disorder. Holt.

Zittrain, J. (2008). The future of the Internet: And how to stop it. New
Haven, CT: Yale University Press.

Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Dept. Communication, 4127 Social Sciences & Media Studies
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television, and New Media
International Communication Association President, 2006-2007
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
805-893-8696; f: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu; http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/people/faculty/rice.php;