[Air-L] Migrants and their use of Online Technology.

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Fri Nov 13 01:17:27 PST 2009

Dear Sriram Reddy and fellow Air-L members,

Great to see your inquiry on the list, there are not that many people working on the topic.
I want to do some self promotion draw your attention to Wired Up a research project I'm participating in, at Utrecht University, the Netherlands.
This Utrecht University interdisciplinary research program focuses on how new digital media practices involving the Internet (e.g., information seeking, instant messaging, chat, web logs, the production and distribution of multi-media) impact on the lives, identities, learning and socialization of migrant youth. See http://www.uu.nl/wiredup/project.htm.

More specifically in my PhD project I'm working right now on a case study on migrant youth usage of social networking sites.

I have done a couple of presentations on the topic:
-Leurs, Koen. 31 October, 2009. “Online social networking sites as spaces of conviviality? Dutch-Moroccan youth on Hyves”. Occidentalism, Orientalism, and the idea of a postsecular Europe. Utrecht University, the Netherlands. http://www2.hum.uu.nl/postcolonialeurope/
-Leurs, Koen. 9 - 12 September, 2009 	“Migrant Youth Writing G/local Hypertextual Selves across Diasporas and Youth Cultures”. Glocal Imaginaries. Writing, migration, place. Lancaster University, UK & Whitworth Gallery, Manchester, UK. http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/projects/movingmanchester/.  (see the section on Networked Diasporas)
-Leurs, Koen. 30 April – 2 May, 2009. “Be(com)ing cyber Mocro’s. Digital Media, Migration  and Glocalized Youth Cultures”. Race, ethnicity and (new) Media Symposium. Race and Ethnic Studies Institute. Texas A&M University. College Station, TX, United States. http://resi.tamu.edu/symposium.php.

Would be happy to share these papers with you.

Furthermore you might want to look up some of the work presented at the recent European Communication Research Education Association (ECREA) – Diaspora, Migration and the Media section
conference, see  http://www.ecrea.eu/events/about/id/35.

Can you tell me more about your project, off-list? Would love to hear more about it.

With kind regards,

Koen Leurs.

Koen Leurs | Aio / PhD student
OGC (Research Institute for Culture and History)|
Utrecht University, the Netherlands | Janskerkhof 13, 3512 BL Utrecht | # 2.02 | (+31) 30 253 78 59 | (+31) 6 13108803 |

Current project: http://www.uu.nl/wiredup/