[Air-L] new technologies and data collection in social sciences - Call for papers

Katja Lozar Manfreda katja.lozar at fdv.uni-lj.si
Thu Nov 26 03:34:39 PST 2009

Call for papers, ISA 2010, July 11-17, Goteborg, Sweden.

Session 9: New technologies and data collection in social sciences

Session organizers: Katja Lozar Manfreda, Faculty of Social Sciences,
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, katja.lozar at fdv.uni-lj.si  and Vasja
Vehovar, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia,
vasja.vehovar at fdv.uni-lj.si

We are organizing a session for the next International Sociological
Association World Congress (http://www.isa-sociology.org/congress2010/). You
are inivited to send your proposed abstracts to katja.lozar at fdv.uni-lj.si
before December 15, 2009. You will be notified about the acceptance of your
proposal by January 30 2010.

Session description: The permanent flow of technological advancements
presents an important driving force for methodological development in social
sciences. This session is seeking papers that will contribute to our
understanding of how new technologies (especially Internet services and
mobile technologies) are influencing the way we do quantitative and
qualitative research in social sciences. We are especially interested in
papers that would show how new technologies are used for collecting data. In
particular, the following areas are of special interest:
    a.. experimental comparisons of alternative design approaches
(contrasting and/or mixing modes of data collection, including new ICT
modes; contrasting and/or mixing qualitative and quantitative approaches
using new ICT);
    b.. exploration of methods for measuring and increasing data quality
when new ICT are used for data collection,
    c.. demonstration of the use of new and innovative research designs as
frontiers of technology.

Best,
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Katja Lozar Manfreda, PhD
assistant professor
Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana
Kardeljeva pl. 5, 1000 Ljubljana
Slovenia
Email: katja.lozar at fdv.uni-lj.si
Phone: +386 1 5805 313