[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

James Howison james at howison.name
Thu Nov 5 08:29:59 PST 2009

May I suggest that in the vast majority of cases we simply ought to
call such actors (and their behaviors) "unobserved", "non-archived",
even "unstudied"?

Most studies are relying on trace evidence about behavior in
communities and the behaviors that these actors are engaging in don't
leave traces.  By calling them "unobserved" we remind ourselves that
we usually don't actually have data on their behaviors, so any label
trying to capture our speculations about them, and their behaviors,
seems premature.

I'm always surprised and pleased at the rich and varied findings that
emerge when studies pull back this curtain and seriously study these
unobserved, non-archived actors/behaviors.  For example the Lakhani
and von Hippel (2003) [1] paper was like that for me, since they
explicitly studied non-archived behaviors and found that reading---a
non-archived, unobserved behavior in most studies---generated the bulk
of learning that was a large factor in attracting participants;
actually posting a question or answer was a much rarer behavior; the
value of reading generated the "pool" of resources that made the
visible participation possible at all.

At least such a label would remind us that here, truly, is "more study
needed" (although thanks indeed for all the references people have
posted!).

Cheers,
James

[1]: Lakhani, K. R., & von Hippel, E. (2003). How open source software
works: "free" user-to-user assistance. Research Policy, 32(6),
923-943.