[Air-L] Migrants and their use of Online Technology.

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 12 14:00:48 PST 2009

One piece I really liked was:

Chheng-Hong Ho: Negotiating Motherhood Using ICTs in Taiwan-US Transnational
Households - In Internet Research Annual, Volume 4, 2007, Peter Lang
Publishing; edited by me (Mia Consalvo) and Caroline Haythornthwaite.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM, <heyd at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi Siriam,
>
> from the linguistic perspective, there are a number of studies of
> code-switching online and its implications (not exclusively, but often in
> diasporic settings).
>
> For example:
>
> Paolillo, John  1996    Language choice on soc.culture.punjab. Electronic
> Journal of Communication 6(3).
>
> Hinrichs, Lars  2006    Codeswitching on the Web: English and Jamaican
> Creole in E-mail Communication. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
>
> And a number of papers in:
>
> Danet, Brenda and Susan Herring (eds.)  2007    The Multilingual Internet:
> Language, Culture, and Communication Online. Oxford: Oxford University
> Press.
>
> The paper by Jannis Androutsopoulos (Language Choice and Code Switching in
> German-Based Diasporic Web Forums) is particularly intersting.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Theresa
>
> ---
> Theresa Heyd
> University of Pennsylvania
> DFG scholar
>

> Quoting EWB ICT4D Programs <ewb.ict4d at gmail.com>:
>
>  Dear List Participants,
>>
>> This is a query to determine if you are aware of research studies that
>> investigate the how's and why's of the migrant and / or diaspora usage
>> of online technologies and social media (facebook, discussion lists,
>> twitter, etc.,) ?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Sriram Reddy
>>
>> ---
>> PhD Candidate,
>> Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University

>> http://www.aoir.org/

Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.
Visiting Associate Professor
Comparative Media Studies
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building  14N-226
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
USA
consalvo at mit.edu
617.324.1868