[Air-L] QDAP/Texifter Foul Language List

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 06:55:00 PST 2009

All great questions and comments. I put my reply to Jerom below and can now
make an interim update.

My lawyer is reviewing the risk associated with release of the list, which
is 250+ items so far. A cautious person naturally avoids unintended harm
that might result from use of the list for purposes other than those stated.
I can envision sharing the list with established research labs working in
this area.

I see many indirect benefits accruing to users of software developed in
proprietary settings. I also give away powerful software for free over the
Web. Both are good models that leverage the Internet to distribute work with
innovative tools and data sets easily to many volunteers, users, or content
creators.

In this case, my new research on threat detection has both basic research
(QDAP) and commercial (Texifter) potential and the added chance of making
public figures potentially safer in a volatile political climate. I am
responding to a direct need expressed through the National Academies of
Science recent workshop for the US Secret Service and to other agency
personnel from across the federal government.

We are looking for ways to design, test and deploy useful tools that make
democracy run a little more smoothly when millions of people are
participating online. If US health care reform drives significant numbers of
people to say awful things, or if the first African American President is
just too much for some folks to bear, simple dictionaries of hate and
threats may be required to make the landscape of democracy more navigable
and civil for those who chose not to go there.

In some cases, we are talking about making it easier for law enforcement
officials to preempt aggressive or violent behavior. In others, we are
looking at modeling the behavior of depraved citizens who use rhetoric for
purposes that go beyond worldly comprehension.

Finally, no, to all who wondered it, I am not planning to leave academia to
become the next George Carlin either.

Doggedly yours,
~Stu