[Air-L] Food updates

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 3 18:37:28 PST 2009

On 3-Nov-09, at 8:54 PM, Rhiannon Bury wrote:

> And allowing one "self"  to break out into other spaces may have
> unintended and real (as in material) consequences--the prospective
> boss checks out your facebook page and sees the photos of your
> "shitfaced" self at the bar.

In my unpublished paper I read some studies done in ACM journals of
privacy and ingredients for crimes of stalking and identity theft on
facebook. One paper studied first year students and found that 98% to
99% of them did not change the default privacy settings on facebook.
So these statements are usually it seems prefaced on the default
settings.

My argument is from the fact that I have changed my settings to be
very private and the only people who view my facebook content are
friends. Now there is one former boss, but no present boss or HR
department or recruiting web site should be able to see me at the bar.
I guess I am too aware as well to post such pictures. You might check
the University of Ottawa's Tech Law program output on facebook because
they have actually forced facebook to change privacy information. I
attend the local tech law talks when I can.

I do though follow the fact that I present multiple identities to
groups of peers from different jobs, and different phases of life.
Crossing groups like Ottawa's open source programmers with Nortel's
security guards and then with Wobblies.

Privacy to use a legal definition is how much we control information
about ourselves. I think Sartre said, we know more about our self then
others do.

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.
kiitos paljon,  merci,  thank you and muchas gracias for reading.