[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

Gil De Zuniga, Homero hgz at austin.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 6 08:10:21 PST 2009

Robert, Amparo and all ~
Yes, I have nothing against other operationalizations of the dichotomous relationship between the users and the medium. For my studies I used active vs. passive, as it reflected more active users versus somehow more passive ones. That doesn't necessarily mean passive blog users are 1) passive for everything they do in the Internet and 2) active media information seekers, as they "actively" browse information and blogs over the Internet.
To be honest, I am not so concerned about the tag we use for describing the phenomenon (and others may be and that is fine). We could say super active and less active, or use many other labels or tags: observes, silent participants, etc... I am most interested in analyzing the possible differences between both categories regardless of the name : -)
Best,
HGZ

Homero Gil de Zúñiga
Assistant Professor
Director, Center for Journalism & Communication Research
School of Journalism
College of Communication
University of Texas - Austin
www.utexas.edu