[Air-L] Analyzing Google Groups?

Claudia Mueller-Birn clmb at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 24 11:40:24 PST 2009

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. Here is a summary of the results:

First of all, references from this area:

"Online political discussions. Methodological considerations"
http://www.javnost-thepublic.org/media/datoteke/vergeer-hermans-3.pdf

Marc Smith's research about newsgroups, http://www.connectedaction.net/about/

Jones Q., Rafaeli S and Ravid G. (2004) 'Information Overload and the Message Dynamics of Online Interaction Spaces: A Theoretical Model and Empirical Exploration'. Information Systems Research (Vol. 15, No. 2, June 2004, pp 194-210).

Whittaker, S., Terveen, L., Hill, W., and Cherny, L. 1998. The dynamics of mass interaction. In /Proceedings of the 1998 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work/ (Seattle, Washington, United States, November 14 - 18, 1998). CSCW '98. ACM, New York, NY, 257-264. DOI=http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/289444.289500

Secondly, thanks Jerom for mentioning the Google Groups: Terms of Service; something to explore.

Thirdly, another other valuable data source are Usenet messages. Available information in the Usenet protocol are listed here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

:::Claudia