[Air-L] facebook, twitter and annoyances

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 23:40:11 PST 2009

I also find the discussion very interesting and would hope that
someone will look into this as a research topic. There is something
almost intimate, though at the same time casual, about food updates.
Sharing a bit of someone's daily life can help create a sense of
connectedness, assuming you care for the person as such to begin with.
If you're following someone simply as an information source, you might
not care at all. So, in a completely fictional example:

Who would be interested in hearing what the Huffington Post recommends
for breakfast? Assuming those who visit the website do so in search of
information that is broadly deemed  news-worthy, no one would. Readers
and fans of Arianna Huffington may on the other hand like to hear what
she had for breakfast and thus remotely partake in the daily ritual
that one would typically only share with partners and friends.

I guess this would be a typical case for a uses and gratifications
approach, though food culture in particular would also be interesting
to focus on.