[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

elif yilmaz yilmaze2 at msu.edu
Wed Nov 4 10:05:32 PST 2009

Hi again,

These are some other essential studies that you may want to look at.

Jones, Q., & Rafaeli, S. (1999). User population and user contributions to
virtual publics: A systems model. Proceedings of the International ACM
SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work, 239 320325. Phoenix, Arizona,
United States, doi: 10.1145/320297.320325

Lampe, C. (2006). Ratings use in an online discussion system: The Slashdot
case. Ph. D. Thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.

Lee, Y. W., Chen, F. C., & Jiang, H. M. (2006). Lurking as participation: a
community perspective on lurkers' identity and negotiability404-410,

Mockus, A., Fielding, R. T., & Herbsleb, J. D. (2002). Two case studies of
open source software development: Apache and Mozilla. ACM Transactions on
Software Engineering Methodology, 11(3), 309-346. doi: 10.1145/567793.567795

Zhang, W., & Storck, J. (2001). Peripheral members in online communities.
Paper presented at the 7th Americas Conference on Information Systems,
Boston, MA. http://hdl.handle.net/2038/1108

Elif Yilmaz
PhD Candidate, Media and Information Studies
Michigan State University