[Air-L] Twitter Re-Design

Mary K. Bryson mary.bryson at ubc.ca
Wed Nov 11 19:58:48 PST 2009

Thanks for sending this fabulous paper, danah -

Danah + colleagues' paper provides lots of really good examples that
underscore the socio-cultural complexities of retweeting - and to the point
here, specifically what will be lost in Twitter's own redesign of the RT
syntax. Twitters redesigned syntax --
Described here --
http://evhead.com/2009/11/why-retweet-works-way-it-does.html

--drops the identity of the sender of the RT as a communicative agent out of
the RT message. This break in the social economy of Twitter's crowd sourcing
network eliminates the additional information provided by the linkage
between the author-A- of the tweet that gets retweeted by Sender-B - and
that information, in the case of my own use of Twitter, is specifically and
importantly part of the reputational economy that tells me fairly reliably -
Sender B provides very reliable information about blogs and consumer health
info - for example - therefore, I will likely want to take 5 seconds and
click on this URL. If I don't know author-A - and this is how the retweet
will show up in Twitter's new design -- as a message from someone I don't
actually follow - the likelihood that I will look at the URL is close to
zero.
Much <intelligence> is lost in this redesign.

Mary