[Air-L] CFP: The Etiology and Ecology of Post-Soviet Communication

Eugene Gorny eugene.gorny at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:21:21 PST 2009

http://nmc.wikischolars.columbia.edu/Conference

CALL FOR PAPERS: POST-SOVIET INTERNET

With this we want to make you aware of a conference, The Etiology and
Ecology of Post-Soviet Communication, which we have planned for the
weekend of May 7-8(-9) 2010 at the Harriman Institute of Columbia, in
New York City. The focus of the conference will be the development of
the internet in the post-Soviet space, first and foremost Russia,
though comparative work that goes beyond this geographical focus is
also of interest.

We anticipate panels on such questions as: emergence and evolution of
social networks; patterns of interlinking; the phenomenon of social
contagion in online communications; political clustering in the
blogosphere and beyond; public versus private identities; doublethink,
cynicism, coded language; the emergence of opinion leaders in the
blogosphere; freedom of the press on the internet; forms and degrees
of censorship, online activism/social movements on the internet;
dissenters and political activism; democracy to autocracy in the
Russian internet.

We would welcome one-page abstracts sent to nmc.conference at gmail.com
by February 1, 2010.

Yours truly,

Catharine Nepomnyashchy, Alan Timberlake and Guobin Yang (Project Leaders)
Eugene Gorny and Florian Toepfl (Project Coordinators)