[Air-L] Categorisation/taxonomy of online social systems?

NABETH Thierry Thierry.NABETH at insead.edu
Mon Nov 23 09:29:59 PST 2009

Dear all,

I have been searching without success a categorisation / toxonomy of
online social systems.

I have of course been searching the web but also Science Direct.

For instance blogs, wikis, microbloging, OSN, etc. function differently,
and have a different role in the web 2.0. Actually, you can even
consider that a web 2.0 solution would be able to combine different
mechanisms.

Are you aware of any paper / theory proposing such as categorisation?

Note:

Several papers (including one which I am the coauthor) provide an
inventory and a short description of the different types of systems (for
instance in education science Procedia in 2009 has a couple of them, and
there is a recent report from IPTS Sevilla about usage of Learning 2.0),
but they do not really try to make a categorisation in order to compare
their characteristics.

Thanks in advance for references you may be aware of something.

Bye,

Thierry

Thierry Nabeth
Senior Research Fellow,