[Air-L] Categorisation/taxonomy of online social systems?

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Tue Nov 24 17:50:18 PST 2009

Hi all

Since this issue is taxing (taxonomising?) me as well, I did a quick search and have found it hard to discern any explained or analytically developed taxonomies. As I reflect on whether it is actually possible to categorise 'online social systems' (which is itself a complex term), I am starting to think that there's more to be gained from focusing on categorising the affordances of computer-mediated interaction and then attempting to locate a particular application, system or environment within a pattern of affordances.

Perhaps the question, therefore is, what taxonomies or structured conceptual arrays of CMC affordances are there?

Matt

Associate Professor Matthew Allen
Head, Department of Internet Studies
School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Curtin University of Technology
CRICOS provider code: 00301J (WA); 02637B (NSW)
+61892663511 http://netstudies.curtin.edu.au and http://netcrit.net
2008 ALTC Teaching Fellow
Life Member, Association of Internet Researchers