[Air-L] Twittering

Alex Randall alex at islands.vi
Mon Nov 2 17:22:23 PST 2009

5.25's aren't toooo hard.
There are services that will transfer files.
Lawyers from eBay wanted to see some of my work from 1983 and we had to get
the original model for the Boston Computer Exchange off of old 5.25 disks
that I had in storage. Our demo we showed at Comdex in 1983 and 1984.  All
stored on 5.25 disks. All part of a law suit over who created the earliest
system for buying on-line.

While we had no trouble getting a service to copy the data to modern media,
it is only from 26 years ago... Imagine trying to get data off a really OLD
computer, C/PM or pre-PC era computers.

All of my writing from the 80's is inaccessible to me now. Those of word
processors made files in ASCII, but the programs no longer work under
Windows. So it is effectively gone. Even if it was well stored, backed up
and archived, there is no way to get that data back into use.

I notice that pretty much everything from that era is NOT on the Internet.
It is hard to find news items from minor journals from before 2000.  Lots of
articles about what we were doing in the 80's and 90's has not been brought
up to the Internet, so there is a sense that "history" has a bump in the
road. Google is not able to find stuff that never got brought into the
current media.

I really wonder if the children of today will have any sense of their
personal history or if it will all disappear.  We talk as if facebook is
forever, we warn people not to leave a digital footprint that will embarrass
them later - - but all it takes is a glitch or a bankruptcy and all the data
will be gone.

If you have ever had a hard drive fail and you lost everything, you
understand how ephemeral our data is.

As a consequence, I am back to writing an old fashioned book - on paper....

Alex Randall