[Air-L] Food updates

live human.factor.one at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:16:16 PST 2009

I feel it's our getting acclimatized to these virtual facets of
ourselves, these 'new selves', that is the genesis of this
cyberidentity crisis.

I believe we feel that face to face (in the physical) we have a
complete control over our interaction with others. (OK, except perhaps
for those with Jewish mothers.)
But think of a communication as a data set. In technology we speak of
'push' and 'pull' technology - data on instigation going in two
separate directions. Same therein with physical communication - we
have an underlying understanding of who we are as a 'self', and in the
physical we have evolutionarily, societally, culturally, and
psychologically come to understand 'separation'. And within that the
ability to change the communication to push, pull, or null.

When we use technology to relay segments of ourselves, I think we
become new facets of 'self'. So with any new technology, even say the
telephone we had to create new ways of understanding our new self;
it's humanness, it's rights, it's understanding of separation etc.
 From these understandings come a culture, and then a cultural
etiquette - but it starts with our being able to grasp these new
facets of self. But, for example myself, I had to come to understand
and integrate my physical self and being with my new telephonic facet
of self and being in any push/pull/null communication when on the
phone with my jewish mother

I think we just have yet to get used to understanding and then
integrating the same ways of being of our physical selves with our new
multiple virtual selves.

-Sharon

Sharon Greenfield
Digital Ethnographer