[Air-L] Research on "passive" social media use?

Dana Rotman danarot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:54:39 PST 2009

All,

Low active participation rates do not necessarily entail low engagement rate
or users' reservations about participation. The question that perhaps should
be asked is about the level of participation and engagement.
Because YouTube was brought up as an example, I want to point out out study
of YouTube users and their perspective of participation which is
vastly different from what the story the participation metrics told us.

Rotman, D., Golbeck, J., Preece, J., 2009. The community is where the
rapport is - on sense and structure in the YouTube community. Proceedings of
the 4th International conference on communities and technologies, C&T'09.
ACM: New York.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1556467#

Cheers,
~ Dana