[Air-L] Textbook on the social web?

Linda.Olsen at infomedia.uib.no Linda.Olsen at infomedia.uib.no
Thu Nov 19 07:16:03 PST 2009

Dear all.

As promised, I am posting the list I've made for myself based on the
suggestions from all of you lovely people. I've tried to divide the
books into different categories, though some books may fit into
several categories (or should be moved to another category...). The
categories themselves might also need some revising and it is not
sorted alphabetically yet.

The idea of creating a bibliographic resource sounds great and I would
love to collaborate on it, if possible!

Here is the list I've made so far (which is still far from complete -
I'll continue to work on it!).

I've also posted the list on my blog, complete with links (the blog is
in Norwegian, but the list itself is in English):
http://lindaeo.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/tips-til-bøker-og-artikler-om-den-sosiale-veven/

BOOKS

History of the Internet
- Michael Hauben and Ronda Hauben Netizens: On the History and ?Impact
of Usenet and the Internet (1997)

Critical approaches to the Internet
- Martin Lister, Jon Dovey, Seth Giddings, Iain Grant, and Kieran
Kelly: ?New Media: A Critical Introduction (2009)
- Jack Goldsmith and Tim Wu: Who controls the Intenet - illusions of a
?borderless world (2006)
- Jonathan Zittrain: The Future of the Internet: And How to Stop It (2008)
- First Monday, Volume 13, Number 3. A special edition edited by
Michael Zimmer (2008)?

Internet possibilities:
- Clay Shirky: Here comes everybody: The power of organizing without
?organizations (2009)
- Jeff Jarvis: What Would Google Do? (2009)?

Theory and background
- Nicholas Carr: The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, from Edison to
Google (2008)?
- Glen Greeber and Royston Martin: Digital Cultures ? Understanding New Media
- Yochai Benkler: The Wealth of Networks ? How Social Production
Transforms Markets and Freedom (2007)
- Manuel Castells, Mireia Fernandez-Ardevol, Jack Linchuan Qiu, and
Araba Sey: Mobile Communication and Society: A Global Perspective (2009)
- Manuel Castells: Communication Power (2009)
- Mizuko Ito, Sonja Baumer, Matteo Bittanti, Danah Boyd et. al:
Hanging Out, Messing Around, Geeking Out: Living and Learning with New
Media (2009)
- Knut Lundby: Mediatization: Concepts, Changes, Consequences (2009)
- Leah A. Lievrouw and Sonia Livingstone: Handbook of New Media (2006)

Digital generation
- David Weinberger: Everything is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New
Digital Disorder (2008)
- Henry Kressel and Thomas V. Lento: Competing for the Future: How
Digital ?Innovations are Changing the World (2007)
- ?Kathryn C. Montgomery: Generation Digital: Politics, Commerce, and
?Childhood in the Age of the Internet (2007)
- David Weinberger: Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New
?Digital Disorder (2008)?

Social behaviour
- Howard Rheingold: Smart Mobs ? The Next Social Revolution (2003)
James E. Katz and Ronald E. Rice, Social consequences of Internet use:
?Access, involvement and interaction (2002)
- Steven Vedro: Digital Dharma: A User's Guide to Expanding
Consciousness ?in the Infosphere (2007)?

Social networks
- Jenny Ryan: The Virtual Campfire: An Ethnography of Online Social
?Networking (E-Book)?

Blogs
- Michael A. Banks: Blogging Heroes: Interviews with 30 of the World's
Top ?Bloggers (2007)
- Jill Walker Rettberg: Blogging (2008)

User-generated content
- Axel Bruns: Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life, and Beyond: From
Production ?to Produsage (2008)
- Douglas Thomas: Hacker Culture (2002)

Privacy
- Daniel J. Solove: The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and
Privacy on ?the Internet (2008)?

Searching, finding and wisdom of crowds
- Cass R. Sunstein: Infotopia ? How Many Minds Produce Knowledge (2008)
- Peter Morville: Ambiant Findability (2005)
- John Battelle: The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the
Rules ?of Business and Transformed Our Culture (2006)?

Impact on news and journalism
- Dan Gilmore: We the Media ? Grasroots Journalism by the People, for
the People (2006)
- Jeff Gomez: Print Is Dead: Books in our Digital Age (2007)
?Business, marketing and innovation
- William Aspray and Paul E. Ceruzzi: The Internet and ?American
Business (2008)
- David Teten and Scott Allen: The Virtual Handshake: Opening Doors
and ?Closing Deals Online (2005)
- Yochai Benkler: The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production
?Transforms Markets and Freedom (2007)
- Lawrence Lessig: Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the
?Hybrid Economy (2008)
- Andy Beal and Judy Strauss: Radically Transparent: Monitoring and
?Managing Reputations Online (2008)
- Eric von Hippel: (1988). The Sources of Innovation (1988)
- Eric von Hippel: Democratizing Innovation (2005)?

Politics
- Garret M. Graff: The First Campaign: Globalization, the Web, and the
?Race for the White House (2007)
- Randolph Kluver, Nicholas W. Jankowski, Kirsten M. Foot and Steven
M. ?Schneider: The Internet and National Elections: A Comparative
?Study of Web Campaigning (2007)?

Health
- Monica Murero and Ronald E. Rice: The Internet and health care:
?Theory, research and practice (2006)
- Ronald E. Rice and J.E. Katz: The Internet and health communication:
Expectations and experiences (2001)

Software
- Christopher M. Kelty: Two Bits: The Cultural Significance of Free
Software. Durham (2008)
- Eric S. Raymond: The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and
Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary (2000)?

ARTICLES

Social media
- Jill Walker Rettberg: Freshly Generated for You, and Barack Obama -
How Social Media Represent Your Life

Web 2.0
- O'Reilly What is Web 2.0

?OTHER RESOURCES

Danah Boyd: Research on Social Network Sites
Danah Boyd: Research on Twitter and Microblogging
Social Media: 20 free e-books about social media
Jay Rosen: Journalism
Webnographers.org

:-)