[Air-L] Analyzing Google Groups?

Maurice Vergeer m.vergeer at maw.ru.nl
Sun Nov 22 15:57:37 PST 2009

Dear Claudia,

Although I don't have a direct solution for the Google group retrieval
issue, I refer you to an article we wrote on analysing online discussions
and certain methodological and technical considerations when doing so. The
article is titled "Online political discussions. Methodological
considerations", published in Javnost, written by me and Liesbeth Hermans.
Follow this link for the pdf:
http://www.javnost-thepublic.org/media/datoteke/vergeer-hermans-3.pdf
I hope it is of use to you.

If you have a solution for the google group issue, I'd be happy to hear it.

best wishes
Maurice

> Dear all,
>
> I am interested in doing some research using data from Google Groups;
> ideally I'd like to have the group archive in mbox or other parseable
> format. I can't imagine I am the first person who wants to do this and I
am
> wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas.
>
> Thank you.
>
> :::Claudia
Maurice Vergeer
Department of communication
Radboud University  (www.ru.nl)
PO Box 9104
NL-6500 HE Nijmegen
The Netherlands

Visiting Fellow Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, South Korea

contact:
E: m.vergeer at maw.ru.nl
T: +31 24 3612297 (direct)/ 3612372 (secretary) / maurice.vergeer (skype)
personal webpage: www.mauricevergeer.nl
blog:  http://blog.mauricevergeer.nl/
CENMEP New Media and European Parliament Elections 2009
http://mauricevergeer.ruhosting.nl/cenmep

Recent publications:
- Vergeer, M. & Pelzer, B. (2009). Consequences of media and Internet use
for offline and online network capital and well-being. A causal model
approach. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 15, 189-210.
- Hermans, L., Vergeer, M., &  d’Haenens, L. (2009). Internet in the daily
life of journalists. Explaining the use of the Internet through work-related
characteristics and professional opinions. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 15, 138-157.
- Hermans, L., Vergeer, M., & Pleijter, A. (2009). Internet Adoption in the
Newsroom: Journalists’ use of the Internet explained by Attitudes and
Perceived Functions. Communications. The European Journal of Communication,
34(1), 55-71.
- Vergeer, M., & Hermans, L. (2008). Analyzing online political discussions:
Methodological considerations. Javnost/The Public, 15(2), 37-56.