[Air-L] Computer usage by low-income people in emerging countries

scott at scottmacleod.com scott at scottmacleod.com
Fri Oct 2 15:53:17 PDT 2009

Here's one of the first studies on homelessness and the internet I know of:

Rogers, E. M., Collins-Jarvis, L., & Schmitz, J. (1994). The Pen Project in
Santa Monica: Interactive communication, equality, and political action.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 45, 401–410.

with some more context here:
http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/465/430

Barry Wellman has done some interesting work with Netville here, too, I
think.

I've also created a new section at
http://www.webnographers.org/index.php?title=Papers#Homelessness_and_Virtual
_Ethnography - I'd like to invited AIRs to add more references here.

Best,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com