[Air-L] Social Histories of information technologies

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Thu Oct 22 12:36:55 PDT 2009

   Not exactly what you ask, but for sociotechnical histories of digital
   networks, I suggest that you follow this thread in Air-L archive:
   [1]http://listserv.aoir.org/htdig.cgi/air-l-aoir.org/2009-July/019332.h
   tml

   In a broader scope, here are a few references that you might find
   useful:
   Bardini, T. (2000). Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart, Coevolution, and
   the Origins of Personal Computing. Stanford (Calif.): Stanford
   University Press.
   Flichy, P. (2007). The Internet Imaginaire. Cambridge (Mass.): The MIT
   Press.
   [[2] http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11122
   ]
   Rheingold, H. (1995). Tools For Thought. The History and Future of
   Mind-Expanding Technology.Online: <[3]
   http://dlcvm.dlib.indiana.edu/archive/00002256/01/Tools_For_Thought.pdf

   Schaffer, S. (1994). Babbage's Intelligence: Calculating Engines and
   the Factory System. Critical Inquiry, 21(1), 203-227.
   -Guillaume

     I would appreciate any recommendations for histories, especially
     social histories, of computing or information tech.
     Thanks!
     Christopher J. Richter
     Associate Professor
     Communication Studies
     Hollins University
     PO Box 9652
     Roanoke, VA 24020
     540-362-6358
     [6]http://www.aoir.org/

   Guillaume Latzko-Toth

   Ph.D. candidate in Communication Studies

   Université du Québec à Montréal

   [7]http://grm.uqam.ca/?q=latzko