[Air-L] Audio/Video Now Available For Mobile Technologies for Children > Allison Druin / Iowa State University / October 9 2009

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue Oct 27 11:32:38 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

The Streaming Audio/Video  Is Now Available For This Most Informative
Presentation I Had The Opportunity To Attend.

/Gerry

Women in HCI Lecture / Allison Druin / University of Maryland / October
9, 2009 / Noon / Howe Hall / Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium / Iowa
State University

Abstract > For many children (ages 2-12) in the United States, mobile
technologies are now an integral part of their everyday living and play
experiences. They commonly use mobile phones, netbooks, pen-based
computing, GPSs, computer-enhanced toys and much more.

But this is not the case for all children. There are still young people
who live in places where mobile technologies are just becoming
affordable. Others live in areas where there is no cell phone service at
all. And still other children live in places where basic living
necessities outweigh the need for electronic technologies. There are
extreme differences in children's opportunities and challenges for
learning with new technologies.

Therefore, in my talk I will discuss how to approach designing for these
diverse children. This talk is not about how to make mobile
technologies. It is about how to make BETTER mobile technologies for the
world's children.

I will demonstrate some of our newest work at the Human-Computer
Interaction Lab in mobile collaboration and intergenerational mobile
storytelling. I will also suggest how these new mobile technologies call
for new approaches to design.

Speaker > Allison Druin is the Director of the Human-Computer
Interaction Lab (HCIL) and an Associate Professor in the University of
Maryland's College of Information Studies and Institute for Advanced
Computer Studies. Her work includes: developing digital libraries for
children; designing technologies for families; and creating
collaborative storytelling technologies for the classroom.

Druin's most active research is the International Children's Digital
Library (ICDL)

[
http://mobile-libraries.blogspot.com/2009/08/international-childrens-dig
ital-library.html ]

now the largest digital library in the world for children which she and
colleagues expanded to a non-profit foundation.

She is the author or editor of four books, and her most recent book was
published Spring 2009: Mobile Technology for Children (Morgan Kaufmann,
2009).

[
http://mobile-libraries.blogspot.com/2009/07/mobile-technology-for-child
ren.html ]

She received her Ph.D. in 1997 from the University of New Mexico, her
M.S. in 1987 from the MIT Media Lab, and a B.F.A. in 1985 from Rhode
Island School of Design.

Sponsored By > Women in Human Computer Interaction Series, Women in STEM
Speaker Series, and Committee on Lectures (funded by GSB).

Link To Audio Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/ykcvmbn  ]

Enjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There Is No Answer, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace