[Air-L] Announcement: 2010 International Conference on Social Computing, Behavioral Modeling, & Prediction

Sun-Ki Chai sunki at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 19 17:26:30 PDT 2009

The 2010 International Conference on Social Computing, Behavioral
Modeling, & Prediction (SBP10), the largest conference devoted to social
science-related research in computer science, will be held March
29-April 1 on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Campus in
Bethesda, MD near Washington D.C.   (Short) paper and poster submissions
should be submitted by November 6.  As in past years, there will be
opportunities to hear presentations from and talk to representatives of
the largest federal funding agencies for scholarly research, including
the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, Office
of Naval Research, and Air Force Office of Scientific Research.
Conference proceedings will be published as a book in the Lecture Notes
in Computer Science Series by Springer/Verlag.  More information,
including the call for papers and previous years's programs, can be
found at the conference website <http://sbp.asu.edu/>.

I am co-program chair this year, and am particularly interested in
gaining the participation of more social scientists in order to make
this a fully interdisciplinary conference.  This year, we will be
featuring some unique events designed to promote that interchange.  The
first day will be devoted to tutorial sessions, including those on
computer science methods for social scientists and vice versa.
Tutorials tentatively scheduled include introductions to principles of
agent-based simulation; comparisons of network models in sociology,
economics, and physics; and application of computational behavioral
models to public health.  If you have a proposal for a tutorial,
particularly one introducing methods from the mathematical social
sciences to outsiders, please send them directly to me at
<sunki at hawaii.edu> by November 6.    The last half-day will be devoted
to informal round tables to bring together social and computer
scientists for intellectual cross-fertilization, as well as for forming
interdisciplinary, interuniversity teams that could work together on
grant applications.  I welcome suggestions for topics to be covered at
these roundtables.

Thank you,

Sun-Ki Chai

*Sun-Ki Chai*