[Air-L] Digital Material

Mirko Tobias Schaefer M.T.Schaefer at uu.nl
Thu Oct 22 06:42:00 PDT 2009

as to the 'newness' of media, especially so-called new media: as many
others we also had/have quite some doubts about the newness, the
virtuality, the immateriality, the utopian promises and the 'participation'.

Our book "Digital Material. Tracing New Media in Everyday Life and
Technology" addresses these issues and presents the ongoing research at
the Utrecht University new media group. We're not there yet, but we aim
at developing something like a 'materialist' perspective on digital
media and social interaction online. Comments and critical feedback are
very welcome!

The book is published at Amsterdam University Press (distributed in the
US through Chicago University Press) under a CC license. Of course, you
can also download it/spread it/print it:
http://www.let.uu.nl/tftv/nieuwemedia/images/uploads/Digital-Material.pdf

More Information:

Digital Material. Tracing New Media in Everyday Life and Technology
by Marianne van den Boomen, Sybille Lammes, Ann-Sophie Lehmann, Joost
Raessens, Mirko Tobias Schaefer

Amsterdam University Press

Three decades of societal and cultural alignment of new media yielded to
a host of innovations, trials, and problems, accompanied by versatile
popular and academic discourse. New Media Studies crystallized
internationally into an established academic discipline, and this begs
the question: where do we stand now? Which new questions emerge now new
media are taken for granted, and which riddles are still unsolved? Is
contemporary digital culture indeed all about ‘you’, the participating
user, or do we still not really understand the digital machinery and how
this constitutes us as ‘you’?

The contributors of the present book, all teaching and researching new
media and digital culture, assembled their ‘digital material’ into an
anthology, covering issues ranging from desktop metaphors to Web 2.0
ecosystems, from touch screens to blogging and e-learning, from
role-playing games and Cybergoth music to wireless dreams. Together the
contributions provide a showcase of current research in the field, from
what may be called a ‘digitalmaterialist’ perspective.

About the editors:
The editors are all teaching and researching in the program New Media
and Digital Culture <http://www.newmediastudies.nl>at the Department of
Media and Culture Studies, Utrecht University, the Netherlands.