[Air-L] Berkman Center Opportunity: Academic Fellowship

Amar Ashar ashar at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 29 12:51:26 PDT 2009

Hi all,

The Berkman Center is on the lookout for innovative academics, and we're
pleased to announce our 2010-2011 Academic Fellowship. It's a fantastic
opportunity for a rising scholar to take focused time for deep thinking
and the production of compelling, potentially paradigm-shifting research
as they prepare for or continue an academic career.

Please see the announcement below, and at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/academicfellow.
The application deadline for this academic fellowship is November 30,
2009.//

Please also note: other fellowship opportunities -- for not only
academics, but also researchers, practitioners, technologists, scholars,
and more -- are open for the 2010-2011 academic year as part of our
general, yearly open application process with an application deadline of
December 31, 2009.  If you or someone else has an idea you'd like to
explore with the Berkman Center in this context, please check out
information about the fellows program at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships!

As always, please feel free to forward along to relevant lists or
potential future fellows!

-----

*Call for Applications: Berkman Center Academic Fellowship*
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships/academicfellow>

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University seeks an
academic to join the community as fellow for the 2010-2011 academic
year.  The Berkman academic fellowship is designed to support an
early-to-mid career academic conducting research expected to yield
valuable data and/or new insights related to Internet and society.

The Berkman Center looks forward to facilitating and advancing
significant works of scholarship achieved through both traditional and
experimental methods.  The academic fellowship provides a focused
opportunity for the production of such works as articles, books, and
other considerable contributions to our understanding of cyberspace.

Beyond executing the plan proposed by the fellow, interaction with,
support from, and contributions to the fellows and Berkman Center
communities play a vital part of the academic fellowship experience.

*Qualifications:* The academic fellow should have a highly distinguished
academic record, and should be a rising scholar - either a recent
recipient of an advanced degree, a postdoc, or a university
lecturer/professor developing their teaching and research career.  The
academic fellow should be an outstanding leader or future leader in
their field.  We will consider applicants from all disciplines.

The fellow must also possess a blend of knowledge, curiosity, openness
and ambition, as well as a desire to work with a dynamic, mission-driven
organization.  A commitment to interdisciplinarity is also necessary.

*Stipend and Benefits:* A stipend of $48,000 is awarded for the academic
year.  Access to Harvard University resources, including health benefits
and library and ID privileges, are also provided.

*About the Berkman Fellowship Program: * The Berkman Center hosts a
robust and diverse community of fellows in Cambridge, MA.  Berkman
Center fellows play a crucial role in discovery, learning, and
engagement, helping to drive projects from within and to bring fresh
ideas and skills into our community.  They are essential to the Berkman
Center's network as nodes of intelligence, insight, energy, and
knowledge-sharing.  More information about the fellowship program can be
found at: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/getinvolved/fellowships.
*
Additional Information: *The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at
Harvard University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace,
share in its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997,
through a generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the Center
now is home to an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows, staff, and
affiliates working on projects that span the intersections among
innovation, democracy, learning, law, technology, and policy.

*Application Materials:*
1.)    A concise yet comprehensive outline for a research and writing
project to be conducted over the course of the fellowship.  We are
particularly interested in knowing how your project will relate to and
interact with ongoing Berkman research projects and subject areas.
2.)    A curriculum vitae.
3.)    Recent academic transcripts.
4.)    Two letters of reference, including contact information
5.)    A digital copy in English of either your most recent publication
or any other piece of your work that is related to Internet research.
URLs for online copies of such material are preferred.

*To apply: * Please batch and email the application materials to Berkman
Community Coordinator Rebecca Tabasky at
rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu.  Please make the subject of your email
'Academic Fellowship Application'.

Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through 11:59 ET on
Monday, November 30, 2009.

*Questions:*
Please email questions about the academic fellowship or the Berkman
Center fellowship program to Rebecca Tabasky at
rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu.